Homeless Education

Nelson County Public Schools (NCPS) continues to be committed to providing support to our students experiencing homelessness. The NCPS homeless liaison is responsible for ensuring the identification, enrollment, and access to the academic programs offered by NCPS.

The federal McKinney-Vento Act guarantees school enrollment for anyone who, due to a lack of permanent housing, lives in inadequate or temporary settings, such as emergency shelters or transitional housing; motels, hotels, or campgrounds due to lack of an adequate alternative; cars, parks, public places, bus or train stations, or abandoned buildings; doubled up with relatives or friends due to loss of housing or economic hardship.

What families experiencing homelessness need to know:

  • Children and youth who are homeless have a right to attend school;

  • You do not need to have a permanent address to enroll in school;

  • You have the right to attend the school you last attended before becoming homeless (school of origin) if evaluated to be in your best interest;

  • Your child has the right to transportation service to and from their school of origin;

  • Homeless children and youth have the right to immediate enrollment;

  • Enrollment records, including past school records and health records are not a reason for denial to immediate school enrollment. Help securing these documents can be offered by your school personnel and the Homeless Liaison;

  • If enrollment disputes arise, schools must provide you with written explanation and your right to appeal;

  • Unaccompanied homeless youth have these same rights.

Homelessness Liaison: Rachel Reutinger, 434-260-7646


School Points of Contact for Families

Heather Cofflin - Tye River Elementary School / 434-263-8960 - Email Heather Cofflin

Bethany Caldwell - Rockfish River Elementary School / 434-361-1791 - Email Bethany Caldwell

Ricki Perry - Nelson Middle School / 434-263-4801 - Email Ricki Perry

Shamane Day - Nelson County High School / 434-263-8317 - Email Shamane Day

Tips for Families Who Move Often

  • Keep a copy of birth certificates and school records accessible.

  • Safeguard all health and immunization records.

  • Have a reliable person keep a second copy of the child's birth certificate, school records, and health information.

  • Enroll children in school as soon as possible.

  • What you can do before moving:

    • -> Tell your child's teacher and principal that your child is moving and give them the new address.

    • -> Let school officials know if you want your child to stay in his/her school of origin while you are getting the family stabilized.

    • -> Ask for a copy of your child's school records, including immunizations. You may contact: Project Hope-Virginia Virginia Department of Education William & Mary School of Education P.O. Box 8795 Williamsburg, VA 23187-8795 Office: 757-221-4002 Toll Free: 877-455-3412 Email HOMLSS | Project HOPE - Virginia

  • For more information, contact Rachel Reutinger, Ed.S., Director of Special Education and Student Services.